Sunday, April 1, 2007

Tribute to the Blue

Welcome to Wildcat Country, better known as my Dad's house. He has "been a fan since 1947" and has a passion for the team and the sport (basketball) I just never understood. Though we lived in Indiana (the unofficial basketball loving capital of the free world) we were "Kentucky Blue" around my house.
Basketball is an entirely different game now than it was prior to the 60's. The integration of African-Americans into the game changed the available tactics and game play (and truth to tell made it a more exciting game to watch). Their passion and creativity drove that game from a horizontal offense-defense to a game of vertical mastery, spectacular shooting, and simply amazing teamwork. In short, they changed it for the better. However, even with all of that, I'm still only marginally interested in the game. I admire the athleticism of the players, the quality of play, etc . . ., but I am a curious observer, not actually a fan.

1 comment:

NoVA Dad said...

I enjoy college hoops much more than pro; college kids are still playing because they love the game -- pros for the most part are playing because it's their job. The enthusiasm with college ball -- both men's and women's teams -- seems so much more genuine.

I love this picture....